Monday, August 1, 2011

Committing Ephesians to Memory

I've posted on here before about the Scripture memory that I'm doing this year (if you haven't already checked out what I'm talking about: click here to go and find out) and I have just been blessed to pieces by God's Word! As a child (and let's face it: teenager and young adult too), I thought that "hiding God's Word in my heart" was kind of a routine thing to do just to make teachers, pastors, and parents happy. I have an easy time committing things to immediate memory, and so it was no big thing growing up to just recite a verse 5x's or so and then spit it back out.
But that's just it: I spit it back out.
Then one day, the Holy Spirit opened the eyes of my heart to his Word in Jeremiah 15:16 which says:
Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of Hosts.
The light bulb came on and I finally saw that what I was missing the whole point! I have the awesome, incredible privilege of holding my own copy of God's Word and being able to open it and find revelation upon revelation. Yet for so long, I was unlike Jeremiah: I did not eat them.
"I ate them"? You may be thinking, wait a second, what?
Jeremiah was chosen as a prophet; he was commissioned by the Almighty Himself! Look back to chapter one for a moment:
But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.” Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the Lord said to me, “Behold, I have put my words in your mouth." (Jeremiah 1:7-9 ESV)
Do you see it? God gave Jeremiah a choice when he put his words in Jeremiah's mouth. He could have ate the words that God put on his tongue or he could have spit them out. If he ate them, he would then have to digest them {think over them, be nourished by them, and be delighted by the strength in them} or he could skip all of that and just spit them out. God did not say "Behold, I have put my words in your heart and I've made the decision for you to treasure them." No, God chose Jeremiah, and then Jeremiah had to respond.
Where does Ephesians fit into all of this?
Well, for the second half of this year I will be choosing passages from Ephesians or about the Ephesian church (from: the Acts of the Apostles, letters to Timothy, Revelation, John's epistles) for my scripture memory. {2 each month for a year; 14 down, 10 to go}
And my verse for the second half of July was Ephesians 2:14 ESV "For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility." What a merciful peace he is!
Now my verse for August 1st is: Ephesians 1:17-19 ESV
"that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might"
Oh Heavenly Father, please bless the reading and memorizing of your Word. Amen.

{Please note that if you found this post through facebook, you may want to enter your email address to receive further posts:: I may be taking leave of facebook in the near future}

No comments:

Post a Comment